Health Minister writes to Arun Jaitley, asks him to hike taxes on tobacco products
Zee Media Bureau/ Irengbam Jenny
New Delhi: Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan has written to Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Friday asking him to increase the taxes on cigarette and tobacco-related products.
In the letter written to the Finance Minister, Vardhan strongly proposed that taxes on cigarette and other tobacco-related products be hiked in the Budget 2014.
The Health Minister said that the main purpose of this move was to reduce the consumption of cigarette in the country.
Dr Harsh Vardhan said he was very particular about the issue as he has seen the impact of cigarette on patients he had treated as a doctor.
He further stated that tobacco consumption is a menace and social movement is needed to address and tackle its growing use in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery