Health Minister writes to Arun Jaitley, asks him to hike taxes on tobacco products
Zee Media Bureau/ Irengbam Jenny
New Delhi: Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan has written to Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Friday asking him to increase the taxes on cigarette and tobacco-related products.
In the letter written to the Finance Minister, Vardhan strongly proposed that taxes on cigarette and other tobacco-related products be hiked in the Budget 2014.
The Health Minister said that the main purpose of this move was to reduce the consumption of cigarette in the country.
Dr Harsh Vardhan said he was very particular about the issue as he has seen the impact of cigarette on patients he had treated as a doctor.
He further stated that tobacco consumption is a menace and social movement is needed to address and tackle its growing use in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match