Health Minister writes to Arun Jaitley, asks him to hike taxes on tobacco products
Zee Media Bureau/ Irengbam Jenny
New Delhi: Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan has written to Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Friday asking him to increase the taxes on cigarette and tobacco-related products.
In the letter written to the Finance Minister, Vardhan strongly proposed that taxes on cigarette and other tobacco-related products be hiked in the Budget 2014.
The Health Minister said that the main purpose of this move was to reduce the consumption of cigarette in the country.
Dr Harsh Vardhan said he was very particular about the issue as he has seen the impact of cigarette on patients he had treated as a doctor.
He further stated that tobacco consumption is a menace and social movement is needed to address and tackle its growing use in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past