Health Minister writes to Arun Jaitley, asks him to hike taxes on tobacco products
Zee Media Bureau/ Irengbam Jenny
New Delhi: Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan has written to Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Friday asking him to increase the taxes on cigarette and tobacco-related products.
In the letter written to the Finance Minister, Vardhan strongly proposed that taxes on cigarette and other tobacco-related products be hiked in the Budget 2014.
The Health Minister said that the main purpose of this move was to reduce the consumption of cigarette in the country.
Dr Harsh Vardhan said he was very particular about the issue as he has seen the impact of cigarette on patients he had treated as a doctor.
He further stated that tobacco consumption is a menace and social movement is needed to address and tackle its growing use in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress plans nationwide media blitz against 2 years of NDA's 'misrule'; to release film, booklet
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying
- Kardashians offered USD 100 million movie deal?
- Supreme Court to hear Italian government's plea on marine today
- Aww! Nargis Fakhri is missing THESE guys and gals