Health Ministry allocation goes up by 202 percent
New Delhi:The tentative allocation for the Health and Family Welfare Ministry during the 12th Five Year Plan has gone up by 202 percent to reach Rs 3,00,018 crore, the Rajya Sabha was informed today.
In a written reply to the House, Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said, "As per the 12th Five Year Plan, document of Planning Commission, the tentative allocation for the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare is Rs 3,00,018 crore, which is an increase of 202 percent".
He also said that the actual allocation for the Ministry during the 11th Plan period was Rs 99,491 crore.
On ways to utilise the extra allocation, the Minister said, "Higher resources would support more activities in public health care, including improving health infrastructure".
Replying to a separate question on deaths in Kalavati Saran Children`s Hospital here, the Minister said that out of the 23,179 children admitted there, 943 died till the month of July this year.
He also said that a team from the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) had visited the hospital recently.
In reply to a question on disposal of bio-medical wastes, he said, "Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) has prescribed guidelines for common bio-medical waste treatment facilities as well as for design and construction of incinerators and environmentally sound management of mercury waste generated from health care facilities".
He also claimed that there is a decrease in quantity of bio-medical waste generation which was 405 tonnes per day in the year 2009. In 2009, total 355 tons of bio-waste were generated per day.
The decrease in generation of bio-waste can be attributed to the proper segregation of waste generated at the source level, Azad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city