Heart damage repaired by induced stem cells: Study
Chicago: Researchers have managed to
reverse some of the damage caused by a heart attack using stem
cells that were induced from connective tissue cells,
according to a study.
The proof-of-concept study on mice is the first attempt
to use induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells to treat heart
The goal is to one day be able to use a patient`s own
cells to repair their heart rather than replace it with a
donated heart, which are in short supply and require dangerous
drugs to stop the body from rejecting the foreign organ.
"This iPS innovation lays the groundwork for
translational applications," said study author Andre Terzic of
the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
"Through advances in nuclear reprogramming, we should be
able to reverse the fate of adult cells and customise `on
demand` cardiovascular regenerative medicine."
Terzic and his team genetically reprogrammed fibroblast
cells - which contribute to the formation of connective
tissues and scars - so that they became stem cells capable of
developing into new heart muscle.
They transplanted those cells into damaged mouse hearts
and found that within four weeks the cells had managed to:
stop progression of structural damage; restore heart muscle
performance lost after the heart attack; and regenerate tissue
at the site of the damage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog