Heart rate formula revised for women
Washington: Researchers have revised the heart rate formula, setting a lower maximum for women.
Until now doctors may have been overestimating women`s peak heart rates during a stress test, it has emerged.
This means a woman could hear a worse prognosis than she actually had.
The problem arose because peak heart rates were based on males only.
"Now we know for the first time what is normal for women, and it`s a lower peak heart rate than for men," Discovery News quoted Martha Gulati, assistant professor of medicine and preventive medicine and a cardiologist at Northwestern Medicine, as telling ScienceBlog.
Gulati is the lead author of the study appearing in the American Heart Association`s journal Circulation.
The old formula is 220 minus the participant`s age. But Gulati recommends 206 minus 88 percent of age, for women.
For a 55-year old woman, this would mean a difference of a heart rate of 165 (old formula) versus about 158.
Gulati said: "Before, many women couldn`t meet their target heart rate.
"Now, with the new formula, they are actually meeting their age-defined heart rate."
To get the new number, Gulati and her team analysed data from nearly 5,500 women over the age of 35.
Gulati said: "It`s important to not get complacent that we have data on men and assume women must be the same. They`re not."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...