Henry VIII would have been a modern-day psychopath
London: Henry VIII, who got two of his wives beheaded, was a psychopath, a study of some of the most successful people in British history has found.
Professor Kevin Dutton, honorary affiliated member of the Calleva Research Centre for Evolution and Human Sciences, Magdalen College, University of Oxford, assessed ten people, who are widely regarded as among Britain`s greatest, to determine how psychopathic they were.
His study found that Henry VIII could be classed in the same category as dangerous criminals such as Ian Brady or other serial killers.
The test was inspired by psychologist William James, who had claimed that any person who has been determined by history as successful was very likely to score highly as a psychopath.
His theory was that to become highly successful, a person has to show the sort of charm, selfishness and ruthlessness, which is common among psychopaths.
When Henry VIII was ranked against the `psychopathic spectrum,` he scored 174 against a psychopath score of 168, Sky News reported.
However, others, such as war leader Winston Churchill, Lord Byron and Isaac Newton, scored much lower, Charles Darwin, scored only 97, which was lower than average of 112 for most men.
The ten figures, who were assessed, were Charles Darwin, Isaac Newton, Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, Charles Dickens, Freddie Mercury, Lord Byron, William Shakespeare, Winston Churchill and Oscar Wilde.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India