Here`s how good cholesterol turns bad
New York: In path-breaking research, scientists have discovered how the good cholesterol in the body becomes dysfunctional and loses its cardio-protective properties - leading to clogging and hardening of the arteries.
"In the artery wall during atherosclerosis, a large proportion of apolipoprotein A1 (apoA1) - a primary protein present in high-density lipoprotein (HDL) - becomes oxidised and contributes to the development of coronary artery disease,” said Stanley Hazen, head of preventive cardiology and rehabilitation at Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.
ApoA1 is the primary protein present in HDL - or good cholesterol - providing the structure of the molecule that allows it to transfer cholesterol out of the artery wall and deliver it to liver, from which cholesterol is excreted.
For over five years, Stanley Hazen and his team developed a method for identifying dysfunctional apoA1/HDL and discovered the process by which it is oxidised and turned dysfunctional in the artery wall.
The scientists then examined 627 cardiology patients for the dysfunctional HDL and found that higher levels raised the patient's risk for cardiovascular disease, said the study published in the journal Nature Medicine.
"This research is the first step in creating new tests and treatments for cardiovascular disease,” Hazen said.
“We are developing a clinical test to measure its levels in the bloodstream, which will be a valuable tool for both assessing cardiovascular disease risk in patients and for guiding development of HDL-targeted therapies to prevent disease,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video