High alcohol intake ups chronic liver disease risk among overweight people
Washington: The harmful combination of high alcohol intake and high body mass index (BMI) causes an increased risk of chronic liver disease, a new study has found.
The study analysed a cohort of over 107,000 women to investigate how a female`s weight and alcohol consumption affected their chances of suffering and dying from chronic liver disease.
EASL`s Scientific Committee Member Dr. Daniele Prati said this research involved a large study to investigate the combined influence of a person`s alcoholic intake and BMI on the liver.
Dr. Prati said, "It`s well known that alcohol and a person`s weight are major causes of chronic liver disease however there has been a need for a large population study to compare these factors` influences on each other. Interestingly, the research found the combination of a woman`s drinking habits and weight has an important effect on liver health and life expectancy."
More than 107,000 women across the United Kingdom who took part in the study were classed with a low or high BMI (
measure for human body shape based on an individual`s weight height, with people scoring =25 classified as overweight. the study found risk
was significantly increased in group of women intake, these participants more likely to suffer from chronic liver disease.
Dr. Prati said, "These findings will have a significant impact on how we can help millions of people across the world at risk of developing liver disease."
"Women are at particular risk as they are twice as sensitive as men to alcohol related liver damage and developing a more severe form of the disease at lower doses with shorter durations of alcohol consumption," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning