High alcohol intake ups chronic liver disease risk among overweight people
Washington: The harmful combination of high alcohol intake and high body mass index (BMI) causes an increased risk of chronic liver disease, a new study has found.
The study analysed a cohort of over 107,000 women to investigate how a female`s weight and alcohol consumption affected their chances of suffering and dying from chronic liver disease.
EASL`s Scientific Committee Member Dr. Daniele Prati said this research involved a large study to investigate the combined influence of a person`s alcoholic intake and BMI on the liver.
Dr. Prati said, "It`s well known that alcohol and a person`s weight are major causes of chronic liver disease however there has been a need for a large population study to compare these factors` influences on each other. Interestingly, the research found the combination of a woman`s drinking habits and weight has an important effect on liver health and life expectancy."
More than 107,000 women across the United Kingdom who took part in the study were classed with a low or high BMI (
measure for human body shape based on an individual`s weight height, with people scoring =25 classified as overweight. the study found risk
was significantly increased in group of women intake, these participants more likely to suffer from chronic liver disease.
Dr. Prati said, "These findings will have a significant impact on how we can help millions of people across the world at risk of developing liver disease."
"Women are at particular risk as they are twice as sensitive as men to alcohol related liver damage and developing a more severe form of the disease at lower doses with shorter durations of alcohol consumption," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?