HIV-affected people call upon Nagaland govt to take political pledge
Kohima: The over 30,000 HIV/AIDS infected people in Nagaland today urged the state government to make a political commitment towards strengthening and improving the overall quality of life for People Living with HIV (PLHIV) in all government welfare programs and social entitlements.
Naomi, President of Network of Naga PLHIV (NNP+) in her solidarity message delivered during observation of International AIDS Candlelight Memorial here this evening said that since the year 2004, Nagaland has 9488 people infected with HIV, out of which 4486 were women and 677 children.
Nagaland is among the six highest HIV/AIDS prevalent states in the country.
She also appealed to the government to continue to understand and respond appropriately to the issues and problems faced by PLHIV.
Although the state government and NGOs have made access to treatment a priority programme, the number of people enrolled in ART programme is still low and this life saving treatment is still inaccessible to many living in remote parts of the state," she said.
We in NNP+ know that there are thousands of people hidden and spending all their resources on hidden treatments all because of their fear being found out,? Naomi said.
Speaker of Nagaland Legislative Assembly Chotisuh Sazo stressing on the adverse effects of the dreaded disease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'