Honey on toast cures bad hangover
New Delhi: This festive season, merriment will be aplenty, and so will be alcohol – but if you want to avoid that really bad feeling of nausea and headache the next morning try honey on toast, says a new study.
The Royal Society of Chemistry claim that the natural sweetener is one of the best way to treat toxins in the body post-binge. It contains fructose, which can also be found in golden syrup, which is essential to help the body break down alcohol into harmless by-products.
"The happiness comes from alcohol. The hangover comes from acetaldehyde. This is the toxic chemical into which alcohol is converted by the body and it causes a throbbing headache, nausea, and maybe even vomiting," the Telegraph quoted Dr John Emsley of the Royal Society, as saying.
"The hangover disappears as the acetaldehyde is slowly converted to less toxic chemicals," he added.
Honey is also a source of potassium and sodium that helps fight the alcohol toxins.
There are a few other tips you can follow to help cure a hangover: drink a glass of milk, stick to clear alcohols like gin or mix your drink with a bit of softdrink. Of course, water before going to bed helps too.
"The milk slows down the absorption of alcohol, which means there is less acetaldehyde for the body to deal with at any one time," Emsley said.
"Gin is alcohol twice purified by distillation and the botanical flavours it contains are mere traces. Avoid dark coloured drinks which contain natural chemicals that can adversely affect you."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional