Hormones may cause UV addiction
New York: Sun lovers beware! Chronic exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation can release feel-good hormones called endorphins that may lead to physical dependence, tolerance and addiction-like behaviour.
The findings explain why people have an instinctive desire to be in the sun, despite its known health risks.
"Curb excessive sun exposure in order to limit skin cancer risk as well as accelerated skin aging that occurs with repeated sun exposure," said senior author David Fisher of Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, US.
According to a study, UV exposure stimulates the production of endorphins, which relieve pain by activating opioid receptors through the same pathway activated by prescription painkillers, morphine and heroin.
Fisher and his team examined whether this pathway could underlie UV addiction.
They exposed shaved mice to UV light for six weeks and found that endorphin levels in the bloodstream increased within a week.
After six-week period, treatment with an opioid-blocking drug caused withdrawal symptoms, including shaking, tremors and teeth chattering in mice that had been exposed to UV light.
Researchers suspect that the explanation involves UV's contribution to vitamin D synthesis in the skin.
However, in the current time, there are much safer and more reliable sources of vitamin D that do not come with carcinogenic risk, so there is real health value in avoiding sunlight as a source of
vitamin D," Fisher advised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?