Zee Media Bureau
Indore: In a horrific incident in Indore's Maharaja Yeshwantrao Hospital, an 8 year-old boy lost his life due to severe negligence of the hospital staff.
During his ongoing treatment in the hospital's operation theatre, the child, Ayush, was administered nitrous oxide to breathe instead of oxygen, which resulted in his death.
Nitrous oxide is a widely used anaesthetic gas that is normally administered to patients in need of anaesthesia.
The operation theatre has been sealed post Ayush's death and the hospital has been called out for its negligence. An FIR has also been lodged.
According to some people, however, this is not the first incident where the hospital's medical negligence has been revealed, claiming that the hospital is evading its responsibility in the issue.
Meanwhile, the contractor who installed the gas pipes in the modular paediatric operation theatre where the children were treated, has been arrested.
Sumit Shukla, a surgeon at the hospital, told reporters that there are two separate colour-coded pipes in the operation theatre, one for oxygen and the other for nitrous oxide which is widely used medically for its anaesthetic and analgesic effects.
It seemed that the pipe meant to supply oxygen yielded the wrong gas, he said.
The contractor, Rajendra Chadhary, however, claims innocence saying that he is being made a scapegoat in the entire matter.
He said, “My job was only to install the pipes. Using those pipes to supply gas was the job of the hospital”.
Another child by the name of Rajveer, who is 18-months-old, is in serious condition after being administered the wrong gas on Saturday at the same hospital.
Maharaja Yeshwantrao Hospital is the largest government hospital in Indore city.
(With IANS inputs)