How body image impacts weight gain during pregnancy
Washington: A new study has revealed that pregnant women who under-estimate their weight are more likely to experience a higher rate of weight gain during the gestation period.
Researchers from the University of Adelaide, who aimed at finding how women perceive their bodies during pregnancy and how that impacts on their weight gain, found that more than 70percent of pregnant women who are overweight or obese under-estimate their weight.
They studied more than 400 South Australian women to better understand the links between body image and excessive weight gain during pregnancy.
The research was conducted by PhD student Zhixian Sui in the University's Robinson Institute, under the supervision of Professor Deborah Turnbull (School of Psychology) and Professor Jodie Dodd (Robinson Institute and Women's and Children's Hospital).
It was found that just 26 percent of women surveyed correctly identified their body mass index (BMI,) with 70 percent under-estimating and 4 percent over-estimating their BMI.
"Women who incorrectly identified their BMI were significantly more likely to have higher gestational weight gain , which suggests a disconnect between their perceptions and the realities of their weight," Professor Turnbull said.
Professor Dodd said the findings of their study have significant implications for clinicians delivering weight-related messages to women during pregnancy, and highlight the very complex influence of maternal perceptions and diet-related behaviours.
The study is published in the journal Women and Birth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city