How `chameleon-like` breast cancer cells lead to brain tumours
Washington:A new study has explained why getting rid of breast cancer cells does not ensure that the disease won't spread to the brain.
City of Hope researchers have found that breast cancer cells disguise themselves as neurons, allowing them to hide from the immune system, cross the blood-brain barrier and begin to form ultimately-deadly brain tumours years after initial diagnosis.
Rahul Jandial, a City of Hope neurosurgeon who led the study, wanted to explore how breast cancer cells cross the blood-brain barrier, a separation of the blood circulating in the body from fluid in the brain, without being destroyed by the immune system.
Jandial said that his team wondered how a malignant breast cancer cell swimming in the bloodstream crossed into the brain and how it would survive in a completely new, foreign habitat.
Jandial and his team's hypothesis: Given that the brain is rich in many brain-specific types of chemicals and proteins, perhaps breast cancer cells exploit these resources by assuming similar properties.
These cancer cells could potentially deceive the immune system by blending in with the neurons, neurotransmitters, other types of proteins, cells and chemicals.
Taking samples from brain tumours resulting from breast cancer, Jandial and his team found that the breast cancer cells were using the brain's most abundant chemical as a fuel source.
This chemical, GABA, is a neurotransmitter used for communication between neurons.
When compared to cells from non-metastatic breast cancer, the metastasized cells expressed a receptor for GABA, as well as for a protein that draws the transmitter into cells. This allowed the cancer cells to essentially masquerade as neurons.
Jandial added that breast cancer cells can be cellular chameleons (or masquerade as neurons) and spread to the brain.
The study will be published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!