How cholesterol accumulates `found`
Washington: Scientists claim to have found how "bad" cholesterol accumulates in the human blood.
A team at the University of New South Wales says that a protein, which directs traffic within cells, is responsible for accumulation of "bad" cholesterol, a finding which could pave the way for effective treatment for a range of diseases.
Professor Rob Yang, who led the team, said: "Cholesterol is carried around our bloodstream, packaged in particles called lipoproteins.
"Cholesterol from the low-density lipoproteins – also known as "bad" cholesterol -- enters our cells and deposits at different locations through a poorly understood maze of transport routes."
The team found that the protein -- known as Hrs -- plays a specific role in directing how and where low-density lipoproteins are deposited.
The scientists showed in experiments that reducing the amount of Hrs causes cholesterol to accumulate in endosomes, a cellular compartment usually containing little cholesterol, the `Cell Reports` journal said.
"This discovery provides a better understanding of how cells handle cholesterol. Misdirection of cholesterol will cause it to accumulate in the wrong places in a cell, resulting in disturbed cholesterol metabolism and eventual cell death.
"This will in turn contribute to the development of heart disease, and a number of neurological disorders including Alzheimer`s disease and Parkinson`s disease," Yang said in a release by the university.
The team is now trying to identify other factors that may co-operate with Hrs to help direct cholesterol traffic, and in turn may point towards new therapeutic strategies against heart and neurodegenerative diseases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof