How deficiency of a protein results in fragile bones
Washington: Scientists have discovered a protein, the lack of which can result in a smaller skeleton during development and sets the stage for a more fragile bone framework lifelong.
The discovery of neogenin by Dr Wen-Cheng Xiong, developmental neurobiologist in the MCG Schools of Medicine and Graduate Studies and Dr Zheng Zhou, MCG assistant research scientist, could open new doors.
The findings could be useful in treating osteoarthritis, a common, painful and debilitating condition where cartilage between bones is lost.
Neogenin forms a protein complex essential to turning on cartilage-producing genes, the researchers found.
That`s why, if it`s mutated, like in the mouse, cartilage and bone formation is disrupted – not halted.
Nutrition, inflammation and hormones are among the many factors that impact bone`s status.
Neogenin, according to the study, helps direct neurons during brain development and aid in regulation of iron levels, and is found throughout bone and cartilage and numerous other tissues.
In adulthood, neogenin may become more of an overseer, keeping tabs on functions it influences, such as bone formation.
"In late-stage arthritis, the cartilage function may be completely disrupted but early in the disease process, maybe there is a window for stimulating this protein," Xiong said.
The study is published in Developmental Cell.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?