How depression diminishes memories
Washington: A new research has suggested that 'pattern separation' - a process that helps young viewers learn to differentiate things that are similar fades in adults in proportion to the severity of their depression.
The more depressed someone feels, the harder it is for them to distinguish similar experiences they've had.
Depression has been generally linked to poor memory for a long time. To find out why, Brock Kirwan, a psychology and neuroscience professor at Brigham Young University and his former grad student D.J. Shelton put people through a computer-aided memory test.
The participants viewed a series of objects on the screen. For each one, they responded whether they had seen the object before on the test (old), seen something like it (similar), or not seen anything like it (new).
With old and new items, participants with depression did just fine. They often got it wrong, however, when looking at objects that were similar to something they had seen previously. The most common incorrect answer was that they had seen the object before.
Kirwan said that there are two areas in your brain where you grow new brain cells.
He said that one is the hippocampus, which is involved in memory. It turns out that this growth is decreased in cases of depression.
The study has been published in the journal Behavioral Brain Research.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what