How ideas are spread in the brain
Washington: Psychologists at UCLA have for the first time identified the brain regions associated with the successful spread of ideas, often called " buzz."
The research has a broad range of implications, and could lead to more effective public health campaigns, more persuasive advertisements and better ways for teachers to communicate with students, the study authors said.
"Our study suggests that people are regularly attuned to how the things they`re seeing will be useful and interesting, not just to themselves but to other people," the study`s senior author, Matthew Lieberman, a UCLA professor of psychology and of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences, said.
"Before this study, we didn`t know what brain regions were associated with ideas that become contagious, and we didn`t know what regions were associated with being an effective communicator of ideas," lead author Emily Falk, who conducted the research as a UCLA doctoral student in Lieberman`s lab and is currently a faculty member at the University of Pennsylvania`s Annenberg School for Communication, said.
"Now we have mapped the brain regions associated with ideas that are likely to be contagious and are associated with being a good `idea salesperson.` In the future, we would like to be able to use these brain maps to forecast what ideas are likely to be successful and who is likely to be effective at spreading them," she said.
The study is published online in the journal Psychological Science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state