How to keep up daily exercise routine during winters
Washington: People often get derailed from their daily exercise regime during winter season. Now, a Saint Louis University exercise expert has offered some tips to keep up your daily routines.
"A change in weather should bring a change to your mindset. As temperatures get colder, it``s important for athletes to adjust their routines," said Dr Tony Breitbach, director of athletic training education at Saint Louis University.
"You need to have a winter sports strategy.
"If you plan well, you``ll be able to keep up with your routine fairly easily. Being aware of winter``s challenges is the best way to avoid injury," he added.
Watch what you wear
Dress in layers for outside exercise. The layer closest to your skin should be made of breathable wicking material, avoiding cotton, which retains sweat. Add a thermal layer of fleece or cotton to keep in heat, and use a third, outer layer as a cover.
Watch what you eat and drink
If you over-indulge in rich foods, holiday drinks and sugary desserts, you``ll need to step up your workout just to maintain current level of fitness. Stay and well-hydrated and drink plenty of fluids, though be sure to avoid caffeine and alcohol-based beverages which also lead to dehydration.
Watch for hazards
Use caution when running after dark by wearing light-colored, reflective clothing so that drivers can see you.
Watch out for overuse
Activities like running in the park, golfing and swimming may not be options in the winter. Be creative, trying ice-skating, cross-country skiing or a yoga class as your exercise.
Watch out for injuries
If you play court sports like basketball and racquetball in winter months be aware of the greater chance for falling or colliding. Be sure you switch to shoes with good traction to help avoid collisions and avoid ankle injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion