How to prolong your life
Melbourne: Sitting less than three hours each day may increase your life expectancy by two years, a new study has claimed.
According to the researchers, being sedentary is an independent risk factor.
This means that no matter how much gym time you log or how many vegetables you consume, being on your butt for long periods of time every day can shave years off your life.
Sitting for long period is almost as harmful to your health as smoking, study author Peter T. Katzmarzyk of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, said.
The researchers aren’t exactly sure of how being on your feet increases your life span, but past research has shown that your large leg muscles are inactive when you’re seated.
Standing activates these muscles, which helps your body manage blood sugar and metabolize cholesterol, Katzmarzyk he says.
Ultimately, this reduces your risk for heart disease.
A few easy ways to get on your feet after a long week at work include getting off the couch.
Katzmarzyk and his team found that limiting your time on the couch in front of the television to less than two hours may extend a person’s life by 1.4 years – place your remote near the TV instead of keeping it next to you so you’ll have to get up to get up to change channels during commercials.
Keep your cell out of sight – stash your cell phone on the opposite side of the room when you get home from work, suggests Manning Sumner, owner of LegacyFit in Miami, Florida, as this will force you to get up in order to answer an incoming text or phone call.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside