How voice signals attractiveness
Washington: Deep male voices and high-pitched female voices are perceived as more attractive because listeners gauge the speaker`s body size from the frequency of their voice, according to a new research.
Studies of animals and birds reveal that listeners can perceive a caller`s body size and intension based on the frequency, voice quality and formant spacing of a call.
For example, low frequency growls are more likely to indicate larger body size, dominance or a potential attack, while higher frequency and pure-tone-like sounds suggest smaller size, submissiveness and fear.
Yi Xu from University College London and colleagues tested whether a similar principle applied to human vocal attractiveness by asking male volunteers to listen to a female voice that was systematically altered for pitch, voice quality and formant spacing to signal a smaller body size.
Female listeners heard a male voice that had been similarly altered to indicate a larger body size.
Results showed that male listeners preferred female voices with high pitch, breathy voice and wide formant spacing that correlated with a smaller body size, while females preferred to hear low-pitched male voices with low pitch and narrow formant spacing that suggested larger body size.
But surprisingly, female listeners also preferred male voices that are breathy, which presumably softened the aggressiveness associated with a large body size.
The researchers concluded that despite the development of complex language, human vocal interactions still employ certain animal instincts.
The study was published in the open access journal PLOS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof