Human placenta may harbour cure for heart disease
London: For the first time scientists have found that the human placenta plays an active role in synthesizing serotonin, providing hope for new treatment strategies for cardiovascular disease and mental illness.
Researchers at the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California`s (USC) Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute were behind the groundbreaking findings.
The result offers conclusive evidence that the placenta provides serotonin to the fetal forebrain, not through the mother`s blood supply, as theorized for the past 60 years.
"Our research indicates that the placenta actually synthesizes serotonin, and the serotonin is released from the placenta into the fetal bloodstream where it can reach the fetal brain," said lead author Alexandre Bonnin.
"The placenta was seen as a passive organ, but we now know that it has significant synthetic capabilities and has a much more critical role in developmental programming of the fetus than previously thought," he said.
Bonnin`s work with Pat Levitt, director of the Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute and corresponding author on the paper, also invented a unique technology known as a "placentometer" that monitors substances that pass through the mouse placenta from mother to fetus.
This technology can incorporate genetic models of human disease, and could lead to targeted therapies that treat the mother without affecting the fetus, or vice versa.
The study will be published in the journal Nature on April 21, 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?
- After Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Laurent Blanc too leaves Paris Saint-Germain: Report