Hypertension drug could treat cocaine addiction
Washington: Propranolol, a common drug prescribed in hypertension and anxiety, seems to be effective in treating cocaine addiction in animal models.
Cocaine is one of the worst addictions to kick with about 80 percent of those trying to quit experiencing a relapse within six months.
This is the first time that a therapeutic treatment has been shown to block the retrieval of memories associated with cocaine habit, a major reason many addicts experience relapse, study co-author Devin Mueller was quoted as saying by the journal Neuropsychopharmacology.
"Right now, there are no FDA-approved medications that are known to successfully treat cocaine abuse, only those that are used to treat the symptoms of cocaine withdrawal, which are largely ineffective at preventing relapse," says Mueller.
Mueller, assistant professor of psychology at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, conducted the research with James Otis, according to a Wisconsin statement.
The effects of propranolol were long-lasting and could be permanent, Mueller says, even without subsequent doses and even in the presence of stimuli known to induce relapse.
Currently, "exposure therapy" is used to help recovering addicts suppress their drug-seeking behaviour. The patient is repeatedly exposed to stimuli that provoke cravings but do not satisfy them.
Done repeatedly over time, the patient experiences less craving when presented with those stimuli.
The success of exposure therapy, however, is limited. Combining therapy with the use of propranolol, says Mueller, would boost the effectiveness of the treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok