If parents divorce early, impact on child is greater
Los Angeles: The earlier the parents divorce in a child`s life, the more significant is the impact on relationships as the child matures, reveals a new study.
Those who experience parental divorce early tend to have more insecure relationships with parents as adults than those who experience divorce later, researchers say.
"By studying the variation in parental divorce, we are hoping to learn more about how early experiences predict the quality of people`s close relationships later in life," Chris Fraley of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign said.
Psychologists are especially interested in childhood experiences as their impact can extend into adulthood, but studying such early experiences is challenging as people`s memories of particular events vary widely, reports Science Daily.
Parental divorce is a good event to study, he says, as people can accurately report if and when their parents divorced, even if they do not have perfect recollection of the details.
In two studies published Monday in Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Fraley and graduate student Marie Heffernan examined the timing and effects of divorce on both parental and romantic relationships, as well as differences in how divorce affects relationships with mothers versus fathers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31