If parents divorce early, impact on child is greater
Los Angeles: The earlier the parents divorce in a child`s life, the more significant is the impact on relationships as the child matures, reveals a new study.
Those who experience parental divorce early tend to have more insecure relationships with parents as adults than those who experience divorce later, researchers say.
"By studying the variation in parental divorce, we are hoping to learn more about how early experiences predict the quality of people`s close relationships later in life," Chris Fraley of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign said.
Psychologists are especially interested in childhood experiences as their impact can extend into adulthood, but studying such early experiences is challenging as people`s memories of particular events vary widely, reports Science Daily.
Parental divorce is a good event to study, he says, as people can accurately report if and when their parents divorced, even if they do not have perfect recollection of the details.
In two studies published Monday in Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Fraley and graduate student Marie Heffernan examined the timing and effects of divorce on both parental and romantic relationships, as well as differences in how divorce affects relationships with mothers versus fathers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter