Immune dysfunction may result in chronic pain syndrome
London: There is good news for people suffering from Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), a serious condition affecting a limb after an - often small - accident or operation.
Researchers have now come closer to discovering the cause of the syndrome, raising hope of findings a treatment.
"The CRPS is a serious condition which is not fully understood. The findings of this study hint at a cause for it - harmful serum-autoantibodies - and raise the possibility of finding a treatment," said Andreas Goebel from University of Liverpool in Britain.
Although it had previously been thought that the cause of CRPS is exclusively an abnormal brain activity after injury, the study points to an immune dysfunction.
"It is quite possible that CRPS is caused by a fault in the immune system. This study seems to pinpoint the cause as autoantibodies, and by examining this area further we can look to developing a cure," Goebel added.
CRPS can cause severe pain lasting many years, as well as limb swelling, hair and nail growth changes, and muscle atrophy, but until now there has been no clear evidence of the cause.
For the study, researchers transferred antibodies from the serum of patients with CRPS to mice, causing many of the same symptoms to be replicated.
The findings appeared in the journal Pain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!