India, EU join hands to evolve strategies for malaria control
New Delhi: Concerned over the fact that many parts of Europe may get affected by malaria due to climate change, India and the European Union have joined hands in evolving strategies for control of the disease, which is affecting 219 million people in developing countries.
"The European Commission as part of the global effort to fight poverty and to reach the Millennium Development Goals has invested millions of euros into seeking ways to control this major public health problem," an EU release said here today.
Normally associated with the developing countries where 219 million people are affected with the disease, as per WHO figures, the scientists now fear that with climate change it is possible that parts of Europe could also become affected by the disease.
The EU got associated with India as malaria has become endemic in many regions of South Asia and identifying potential targets requires an in-depth understanding of the signalling processes that control proliferation and differentiation during the parasite life cycle, it said.
With funding of EUR 3 million, France`s Institute national de la sant? et de la recherche m?dicale (INSERM) formed a unique consortium of EU and Indian partners for the project- `MALSIG`.
The team generated various transgenic parasite strains to learn more about the proteins responsible for the disease. In addition new insights into DNA replication in gametocytes (a type of germ cell) have been gained through the study of cyclin-dependent protein kinase (CDKs), which regulate the cell cycle and effector molecules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai