India gets yellow fever vaccine after severe shortage
New Delhi: In a major relief for those travelling to African nations, government on Friday received a consignment of 60,000 yellow fever vaccine doses through WHO which will be distributed across the country.
There has been acute shortage of the vaccine in the country and users are finding it difficult to get the vaccine ever since the Kasauli-based Central Research Institute stopped its manufacture.
The yellow fever vaccine is compulsory for all those travelling to African nations, after the World Health Organisation held a consultation on yellow fever saying the threat of introduction of Yellow Fever into Asia was very real in the age of faster air travel.
"There was a shortage of yellow fever vaccine as WHO was not supplying it leading to problems for users. We have procured 60,000 vaccines and the same are being distributed to 27 vaccination centres across the country for use," Director General of Health Service Jagdish Prasad said.
The Health Ministry has already placed an order of 2.75 lakh doses of the vaccine from the WHO which are likely to be received soon and would be sufficient for two years.
The yellow fever vaccine is available at 27 government vaccination centres free of cost and is also available in the open market. However, due to shortage of the vaccine, it is being sold in the blackmarket by private retailers, leading to problems for those travelling to African nations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- If Congress was pro-poor, why does poverty still exist in India, asks PM Narendra Modi
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Check biharboard.ac.in / biharboard.bih.nic.in for Bihar School Examination Board BSEB Inter Arts Result 2015
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses