`India has lowest per capita toothbrush consumption`
New Delhi: Indians have a casual attitude towards brushing their teeth and most don`t bother about changing their toothbrush, notes a study.
India has the lowest per capita toothbrush consumption as most of the people use their fingers, neem sticks and other tools for brushing teeth, stated a study conducted by Indian Market Research Bureau (IMRB) on Consumer Usage and Attitudes Survey.
The study has startling facts which stated that 65 percent Indians change their toothbrush only after visible signs of damage, of whom 55 percent change only when the bristles start bending or flowering.
Besides, 43 percent are compelled to change only when the toothbrush starts looking dirty and 32 percent change once the bristles start coming out.
Noting a casual attitude towards brushing, the study adds that 56 percent Indians believe that there is no harm if the toothbrush was not changed.
A toothbrush is vital for daily oral hygiene maintenance and helps in reducing plaque, caries and other dental problems, doctors say stressing on the need to brush teeth with toothbrush.
Eighty percent of the germs in the mouth are not on the teeth but on the cheeks, gums and tongue, the study adds.
Conventional toothbrushes only clean hard tissues and thus the residual bacteria on soft tissues may lead to dental problems.
The study also stated that a toothbrush with tongue cleaner provides better removal of plaque and also gives a better whole mouth cleaning experience than a flat trim toothbrush.
Doctors say that a toothbrush should be changed at least once every three months as the efficacy of the brush decreases with time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured