India revokes patent on Merck & Co`s asthma drug
New Delhi: Indian Patents Office has revoked a patent for an asthma drug held by US-based Merck & Co following a challenge from domestic pharma firm Cipla.
In an order, Assistant Controller of Patents & Designs T V Madhusudhan revoked the patent on the ground that it lacked invention.
"The sole process claim also in its entirety is not inventive as the said claim does not describe any inventive feature," the order said.
"In view of the above conclusion I hereby order that the patent bearing number 246328 is revoked," Madhusudhan said in his order.
Schering Corporation, which was later acquired by Merck & Co, had applied for patent of the asthma drug in February 2004, and the Indian Patents Office had granted the patent in March 2011. Cipla had challenged the patent.
The development is the latest in a series of patent revocations by India`s Patent Office.
Last month, the Intellectual Property Appellate Board (IPAB) had turned down drug firm AstraZeneca`s plea for a patent on the lung cancer drug Gefitinib.
Similarly, it had also revoked Pfizer`s patent on cancer drug `Sutent`. The drug was granted a patent in India in 2007 but Cipla had opposed it the following year.
Earlier during the year, India Patents Office had invoked compulsory licensing permitting the Hyderabad-based Natco Pharma to manufacture and sell cancer-treatment drug Nexavar at a price, over 30 times lower than charged by its patent-holder Bayer Corporation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks