India steps up polio surveillance as virus re-emerges in China
New Delhi: With the detection of four cases of polio in China after a gap of ten years, India has heightened surveillance in border states.
The Health Ministry has put on high alert various border states in the country, asking them to put up polio booths.
States like Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan and Gujarat, besides Uttar Pradesh and Bihar have been asked to compulsorily administer polio drops to all children entering India from any of the neighbouring countries.
Rapid Response Teams, especially trained for virus threats in the country, have also been put on high alert, said Health Ministry officials.
Punjab, which has an open border with Pakistan, has already set up polio vaccination booths at the Wagah border and the Attari railway station in Amritsar district, for administering polio drops to all children entering India from Pakistan, Punjab`s Health Secretary Satish Chandra said.
Polio drops would be administered to all children upto five years of age who enter the country through the train or road route or on foot from the Wagah checkpost, he said, adding that this would continue for the next few months.
Children will be compulsorily administered the bivalent polio vaccine, even if they have been vaccinated in the past, he added. Incidentally, Punjab has been polio free since 2009.
Pakistan has recorded as many as 84 cases of polio so far, while Afghanistan has also been reported polio cases regularly and so has neighbouring Nepal.
After four children in China`s Xinjiang province reported polio infection in August this year, China said polio had re-entered the country after a gap of ten years. It feared the infection had been imported from Pakistan into the country.
India has so far reported only one case of polio in West Bengal`s Howrah district in January this year and Ministry officials claimed that India`s polio campaign has given good results this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof