India vouches for safety, efficacy of its drugs
New Delhi: India Monday vouched for the safety and efficacy of drugs manufactured by it and asked African countries not to mix patent issues with those of quality.
"India is the largest supplier of generic medicines in the world. These drugs are issued only after their quality and compatibility are checked," said P.V. Appaji, director general of the Pharmaceutical Export Promotion Council.
Addressing African delegates and ministers at the India-Africa Policy Dialogue on Pharmaceuticals here, Appaji said that every country in the world was looking at affordable medicines.
"India is capable of manufacturing 95 percent of its medicines. There is no country where Indian medicines are not used," he said.
"Don`t mix patent issues with quality issues," he said.
World Bank representative S. Nagpal said: "In Africa, good quality affordable medicines are still problematica."
Observing that his country has a huge disease burden of communicable and non-communicable diseases, Zimbabwe Health Minister Henry Madzorera said very little drug manufacturing was happening in the country.
"We are here to learn from India. We want to be sufficient at least to some extent," he said.
African countries account for over 17 percent of India`s medicines and fine chemicals` export.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say