India witnesses 56% drop in HIV cases
New Delhi: The country has witnessed a 56 percent drop in HIV related cases in the last one decade, the government said Monday.
"HIV infections have declined by 56 percent during the last decade from 2.7 lakh in 2000 to 1.2 lakh in 2009 in our country," Health and Family Welfare Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said.
Addressing an international HIV vaccine symposium here, he said new evidence from the latest round of HIV Sentinel Surveillance shows further decline in HIV Prevalence among general population as well as high risk groups.
"This has been possible due to political support at the highest levels to the various interventions under National AIDS Control Programme, including from Parliamentarians and elected leaders at the State and Local Levels and cooperation received from NGOs, civil society etc," he said.
Emphasising on development of technologies to prevent, diagnose and treat the disease, Minister of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences Ashwani Kumar said that though number of new HIV infections continues to decline at current rates, there will still be more than 22 million new infections by 2015.
"We believe that the new HIV infections could be significantly reduced if effective prevention programs are expanded and reach those at greatest risk of HIV infection," he said.
Former president APJ Abdul Kalam suggested developing vaccine for prevention of the disease on a nation mode.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj