Indian Council of Medical Research to conduct research on autism
New Delhi: In a bid to develop a system to diagnose autism, the Indian Council of Medical Research will soon begin a research which will concentrate on the causes and
epidemiology of the disorder.
"We are going to conduct a major research on autism. We had invited proposals for the same and received over 60 projects...we will fund the important ones," ICMR director general V M Katoch said.
Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication. It manifests in children by the age of three. An autistic child have
difficulty in understanding and expressing what their senses tell them, he said.
The exact cause of autism and the figure of the Indian population affected by the disorder is not known yet, Tripti Khanna, scientist with the non communicable diseases division
of ICMR, said.
Katoch said, "In the US, one out of every 166 children is suffering from autism but the exact figure in India is yet to be ascertain."
"The research will also concentrate on development of training modules for parents and children, development of modules of care at schools and home and special education and remediation," Khanna said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray