`Indian women have highest GDM in South Asia`
Chennai: Indian women have the highest frequency of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM) in South Asia, making the foetus vulnerable to diabetes, two city-based
doctors said here today.
The doctors were addressing a press meet at the launch of Prevention of Diabetes in the Mother and Child Project by Dr Seshiah Diabetes Research and Dr Balaji Diabetes Care Centre in association with global healthcare brand Novo Nordisk.
Dr V Seshiah and Dr V Balaji said 16.55 per cent of Indian women suffer from GDM, making the child vulnerable to Type 2 diabetes and said their project being funded by Novo Nordisk would conduct research over 15 years, focussing on a variety of factors, including cause, diagnosis and awareness.
"A lack of control of sugar intake affects the foetus, resulting in the birth of an overweight child who is vulnerable to diabetes. Therefore, prevention is very
important," Dr Seshiah said.
Dr Balaji said the study would "reveal answers for many questions" on diabetes and the research would study specific communities and target groups in urban, semi-urban and rural areas.
"This community-based study will be extrapolated and we will be releasing interim reports," he added.
This was a "first-of-its-kind" initiative in India, Dr Seshiah said.
Both doctors said that most Indian women gain weight during pregnancy due to consumption of an unhealthy diet and lack of physical activity, unaware of the impact of GDM on her developing Type 2 diabetes as well as the impact on her child.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir