India`s infant mortality rate dips
New Delhi: The infant mortality rate (IMR) - which reflects the number of deaths per 1,000 live births - has dipped by three points in both rural and urban areas of the country, as per the latest estimates released by the union health and family welfare ministry Thursday.
The IMR in urban areas came down from 53 in 2008 to 50 in 2009, while in rural areas the figure dropped from 58 in 2008 to 55 in 2009, according to the sample registration system (SRS) estimates.
The SRS is a large-scale demographic survey used for providing reliable annual estimates of birth rate, death rate and other fertility and morality indicators at the national and sub-national levels. The SRS sample is replaced every 10 years, based on the latest census frame.
According to the data, Goa has reported the lowest IMR of 11 followed by Kerala with 12.
While there has been a drop of three points in the national average for IMR, states like Bihar, Karnataka, Orissa, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Andaman and Nicobar Islands have reported a dip of four points in the rate.
The IMR dropped from 56 to 52 in Bihar, 45 to 41 in Karnataka, 69 to 65 in Orissa and 63 to 59 in Rajasthan.
Daman and Diu registered the maximum drop of seven points, from an IMR of 31 to 24. In Lakshadweep, the IMR came down from 31 to 25.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed