India`s vaccine regulator passes strict WHO efficacy test
New Delhi: A World Health Organization team today cleared India`s vaccine regulatory system for maintaining international standards, thus paving the way for easy export of vaccines produced in the country.
India`s Rs 19,000-crore vaccine industry accounts for exports worth 13 billion US dollars to 150 countries across the world.
The WHO team said India`s national vaccine regulatory authority, the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO) and its affiliated bodies met the strict WHO parameters needed to be maintained by any functional vaccine regulatory system.
At the end of a six-month review which concluded this week, the WHO team of 18 inspectors from all over the world including the US Food and Drug Administration Office certified the CDSCO and its facilities as functional, paving the way for local vaccine producers to better market their products.
In an increasingly safety conscious world, most countries necessarily import vaccines from countries where the national regulatory authorities have been tested by the WHO as functional.
WHO assessment of a regulatory authority as functional means the country`s vaccine production lines are efficacious and safe and can be easily trusted.
"This is a big achievement and an important milestone for our vaccine industry," said a senior Health Ministry official.
The latest certification means all the 12 Indian vaccine makers can now apply for WHO pre-qualification and thus improve the chances of exporting their products to the first world and a range of global agencies including the UNICEF and World Bank and the Gates Foundation which only import from WHO prequalified makers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das