Injection to control diabetes without side effects
New York: Dealing with diabetes could soon be a lot easier as researchers have developed an injection that can restore blood sugar levels to normal for more than two days without any side effects.
In mice with diet-induced diabetes - the equivalent of type-2 diabetes in humans - a single injection of the protein FGF1 was found enough to control blood sugar levels.
"FGF1 offers a new method to control glucose in a powerful and unexpected way," said Ronald Evans from Salk Institute for Biological Studies in the US.
The discovery could lead to a new generation of safer, more effective diabetes drugs.
Sustained treatment with the protein does not merely keep blood sugar under control, but also reverses insulin insensitivity, the underlying physiological cause of diabetes, the findings showed.
Equally exciting, the newly developed treatment did not result in side effects common to most current diabetes treatments.
For the study, researchers injected doses of FGF1 into obese mice with diabetes to assess the protein's potential impact on metabolism.
They found that with a single dose, blood sugar levels quickly dropped to normal levels in all the diabetic mice.
"Many previous studies that injected FGF1 showed no effect on healthy mice," said Michael Downes, a senior staff scientist at Salk Institute.
"However, when we injected it into a diabetic mouse, we saw a dramatic improvement in glucose levels," Downes added.
The study appeared in the journal Nature.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read