Innovative method can glue breastbone
Toronto: Researchers have created an innovative method which can repair the breastbone after it is broken to provide access to the heart during open-heart surgery.
The technique uses a state-of-the-art Kryptonite adhesive that rapidly bonds to the bone and accelerates the recovery process.
"We can now heal the breastbone in hours instead of weeks after open-heart surgery."
"Patients can make a full recovery after surgery and get back to full physical activities in days instead of months," says Paul W.M. Fedak.
Fedak is a cardiac surgeon at Foothills Medical Centre and scientist at the faculty of medicine, University of Calgary, who pioneered the new procedure. Fedak and Kathryn King are the co-principal investigators of the study.
King, a cardiovascular nurse scientist, is an expert in post-operative recovery after open-heart surgery.
"Being able to resume normal activities is a hallmark of good recovery; this surgical innovation should enable that," says King.
The patients report substantially less pain and discomfort after surgery and the use of strong pain medication, such as narcotics, is profoundly reduced if not completely eliminated with use of the procedure, says a Calgary varsity release.
Richard Cuming`s chest was repaired in June with the help of Kryptonite. Two years earlier he had open-heart surgery repaired the traditional way - sewing his breastbone back together with wires. The wires broke, his breastbone opened, and Cuming had a difficult time.
After his chest was `glued` back together using Kryptonite adhesive and wires he had an entirely different experience. "I had a little bit of pain, but this was a walk in the park compared to my earlier recovery. I can do anything I could do prior to the original surgery. I feel wonderful," said Cuming.
Kryptonite is approved for use in Canada, the US and Europe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly