Insulin spray to treat ‘diabetes of the brain’
New studies are showing that insulin could play a key role in treating ` diabetes of the brain`.
Many experts have held Alzheimer`s disease akin to diabetes of the brain. The theory is that the aging brain also can develop insulin resistance or suffer from a dwindling insulin supply, damaging neurons and contributing to the widespread destruction of mind.
"It was about 30 years ago that Suzanne de la Monte at Brown introduced the idea of Alzheimer`s being diabetes of the brain ... Now, it`s coming back," the Globe and Mail quoted Howard Chertkow at McGill University, as saying.
Dr. de la Monte injected rats with an antibiotic that happens to block insulin, to give the animals "diabetes of the brain." But the post mortems revealed that the rats` brains were riddled with dead cells, plaques and tangled nerve fibres – a sign of Alzheimer`s.
But not all Alzheimer`s patients are diabetic, and Dr. de la Monte believes insulin resistance in the brain can develop regardless of whether a person has diabetes.
Patrick McGeer emeritus at the University of British Columbia also found similarities between conditions of diabetes and AD, but he is not convinced that insulin drives the disease.
At the moment, she is trying the experiment that was reported in Hawaii, by having Alzheimer`s patients at Brown inhale insulin.
"I don`t think the nasal spray is the answer but if the concept gets legs, that`s when the creativity kicks in," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state