Intermittent fasting secret to weight loss
Melbourne: Starving yourself every other day could be the key to losing weight and lowering your risk of cancer, heart disease and Alzheimer’s, scientists have claimed.
Fat loss pills and strenuous exercise could be a thing of the past, with a new diet claiming to improve your waistline, as well as extend your life and keep wrinkles at bay.
The 5:2 diet - also known as intermittent fasting - requires two non-consecutive days of “fasting” each week, when the dieter is to consume no more than 500 calories if they are a woman and 600 if they are a man, the Daily Telegraph reported.
There are no dietary restrictions for the remaining five days, which are often referred to as the “feeding” days.
The diet has gone viral following the BBC documentary ‘Eat, Fast and Live Longer’ by doctor and journalist Michael Mosley, which screened in the UK last year.
It is expected to create a similar craze when it screens in Australia on SBS on April 22.
The program follows Dr Mosley on an intermittent fasting investigation.
In six weeks following the diet, he lost over 6kg and 25 percent of his body fat.
His cholesterol dropped and his blood glucose, which he described as “borderline diabetic”, went back to normal.
Dr Mosley also found that fasting lowered levels of IGF-1 in the body - an insulin-growth hormone - which in turn lowered blood pressure and the risks of cardiovascular disease, cancer and diabetes.
There are now 5:2 groups on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter, as well as blogs dedicated to the diet.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case