International Day of People with Disability: Let’s celebrate ability!
Zee Media Bureau/Ritu Singh
New Delhi: The International Day of People with Disability is observed to celebrate people across the world who are living with any kind of disability. The International Day of People with Disability is coordinated by United Nations Enable, which works to support and promote the rights and dignity of persons with disabilities and mobilize support for their well-being. The symbol of Enable is the blue UN symbol and the word "enable".
General Assembly of the United Nations proclaimed 1981 as the International Year of Disabled People. The theme of the year was “full participation and equality”. After this, they proclaimed 1983 until 1992 as the United Nations Decade of Disabled Persons.
Any disability results because of an impairment that may be physical, cognitive, mental, sensory, emotional, developmental, or some combination of these. A disability may be present from birth, or occur during a person's lifetime.
According to estimates, almost one billion in the world suffer from some or the other kind of disability. Due to this, they have to face social exclusion and prejudices, lack of employment opportunities and the inability to pursue personal fulfilment. These obstacles make their survival very challenging and they often fall into the pit of depression and misery.
In India, the situation is even grimmer where the problem of accessibility and inclusion of disabled persons into the mainstream of society remains a big challenge. Also the problem of unemployment for the disabled, physical abuse and inequality aggravates the situation further.
But let’s not lose hope and try to promote a more accessible world for the disabled people where they live without any stigma and thrive on their abilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital