Intestinal stem cells can increase gut size
Washington: Adult stem cells can reshape our organs to keep up with bodily changes, a finding that potentially paves the way for more effective treatment of diabetes and obesity.
Once embryonic stem cells mature into adult stem cells, they sit quietly in our tissues, replacing cells that die or are injured but doing little else.
But in working with fruit flies, researchers found that intestinal stem cells responded to higher food intake by producing more intestinal cells, expanding the size of the intestines as long as the food keeps flowing.
"When flies start to eat, the intestinal stem cells go into overdrive, and the gut expands," said Lucy O`Brien, post-doctoral fellow at the University of California-Berkeley (UC-B) who led the study, the journal Cell reports.
"Four days later, the gut is four times bigger than before, but when food is taken away, the gut slims down," O`Brien added, according to an UC-B statement.
Just as in humans and other mammals, O`Brien said, the fly intestine secretes its own insulin. In flies, intestinal insulin seems to be the signal that makes stem cells "supersize the gut".
"Because of the many similarities between the fruit fly and the human, the discovery may hold a key to understanding how human organs adapt to environmental change," said David Bilder, UC-B associate professor of molecular and cell biology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead