Iron rich salt to fight malnutrition
With high prevalence of anaemia in the country, the government has decided to promote iron fortified iodised salt as a measure to deal with malnutrition.
The decision was taken at a meeting held in the Prime Minister`s Office on promoting consumption of iron fortified iodised salt.
The meeting attended by various ministries called for the urgent measures to tackle anaemia in India`s population, particularly among adolescent girls, women and children.
Anaemia is caused by inadequate intake and poor absorption of iron. It can be prevented and cured by promoting consumption of iron rich foods and iron supplements.
The National Institute of Nutrition (NIN), Hyderabad, has developed technologies for the double fortification of salt with iodine and iron.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad