Is alcoholism in your genes?
London: Scientists have found that people may be genetically inclined to becoming alcoholics at birth.
Researchers studying the brainwaves of problem drinkers have discovered a gene which may be linked to drinking, a Daily Mail report said.
In a study, the researchers carried out a brain scan of people who are alcoholic, and discovered patterns common to those at risk of dependence.
It was found that children of problem drinkers had the same patterns of brain activity -- apparently at risk of becoming alcoholics.
The team from the Texas Biomedical Research Institute tested 1,064 people in the US with several generations of problem drinking in the family.
After identifying the echo of a brain wave, they discovered a strong link between drinking and the serotonin receptor gene, HTR7. Serotonin affects mood and sleep, and anti-depressent drugs are often regulated by it.
The researchers also found people were more likely to become alcoholics due to their ability to metabolize alcohol.
"Some people are uncomfortable with the idea that there`s a genetic component to addiction," said geneticist Laura Almasy.
"We know that there are biological components to risk of addiction, some have to do with how you metabolize alcohol," she said.
"Some of them have to do with differences in people`s brains that make them more or less susceptible to addiction. We think this difference in brainwave patterns between people at risk and people not at risk is an echo of the underlying biological difference that makes some people more susceptible than others," she added.
The findings are being published in the American Journal of Medical Genetics and have been printed in the Biomedical Research Institute`s newsletter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore