Is paracetamol a back ache drug or just placebo?
Washington: A new study has revealed paracetamol is no better than Placebo as it does not help in speedy recovery from severe lower back pain or improving pain levels, function, sleep, or quality of life.
Low-back pain has been the leading cause of disability worldwide. National clinical guidelines universally recommend paracetamol as the first choice analgesic for acute low-back pain, despite the fact that no previous studies have provided robust evidence that it was effective in people with low-back pain.
Dr Christopher Williams from the George Institute for Global Health at the University of Sydney, Australia said that simple analgesics such as paracetamol might not be of primary importance in the management of acute lower back pain.
The results suggested that they need to reconsider the universal recommendation to provide paracetamol as a first-line treatment for low-back pain, although understanding why paracetamol works for other pain states but not low-back pain would help direct future treatments.
Bart Koes and Wendy Enthoven from Erasmus MC, University Medical Center in Rotterdam, Netherlands said that furthermore, efforts to establish if prescription of other simple analgesics has additional benefit to advice and reassurance of the favorable prognosis for acute low-back pain would be welcomed.
The study is published in The Lancet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Separated Indian, Pakistani siblings meet in UAE after 48 yrs
- CPI(M) leader Sushanta Ghosh slapped in West Bengal court premises
- On eve of Greece visit, Putin says problems with EU can be solved
- President Mukherjee lists 8 steps to resolve issues between India, China
- READ: What Ashish Nehra has to say about his Viral Photo with Virat Kohli