Is your snoring hubby a night-time groaner?
New York: And you thought your hubby snores a lot as you change positions to catch some sleep. He may actually be a nocturnal groaner.
Called catathrenia, groaning at night is a relatively new diagnosis. The noise is produced when the sleeper is exhaling, which separates it from the sound of snoring that usually comes during inhaling.
It usually occurs in the latter part of sleep, with each groan lasting up to 50 seconds.
The groans may be very loud and can occur hundreds of times a night, researchers said.
Moreover, groaners may also experience embarrassment and anxiety because the noises they produce can sound sexual.
It is three times more common in men than woman.
"It often starts around the age 19. It may run in families, and can occur with other sleep problems, such as sleepwalking," said researchers from the British Snoring and Sleep Apnea Association.
Another research at Stanford University has also found that in 14.8 percent of cases, there is a family history of groaning.
People suffering from groaning experience next day fatigue and chronic sore throats.
Depression and anxiety may also be more common in people living with the condition, the study added.
According to researchers, polysomnography - monitoring brain waves, the oxygen level in the blood, heart rate and breathing, as well as eye and leg movements during sleep - can detect groaning and its further treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview