IVF gaining popularity among villagers: Expert
Kolkata: With a success rate of nearly 40 percent, in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) has been steadily gaining popularity among rural couples suffering from infertility, an expert said here Wednesday.
"On an average, one out of every 14 couples suffers from infertility in the country. With a success rate of nearly 40 percent, IVF has been a boon for infertile couples and the treatment has been steadily gaining popularity among the rural population," said gynecologist and IVF expert Gautam Khastgir.
Khastgir associated with the city-based Bengal Infertility and Reproductive Therapy Hospital (BIRTH) said that of all his patients nearly 60 percent came from rural areas of the state.
"With drastic life style changes, pollution and lack of hygiene, infertility has been on the rise in rural areas. However, the good thing is people are now becoming more aware and conscious and are opting for IVF to get rid of infertility. Rural population across the country suffering from infertility is now opting for IVF," said Khastgir.
On the urban front also infertility has also been on the rise with obesity, strenuous life and drinking and smoking being the chief reasons for the malady.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users