IVF gaining popularity among villagers: Expert
Kolkata: With a success rate of nearly 40 percent, in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) has been steadily gaining popularity among rural couples suffering from infertility, an expert said here Wednesday.
"On an average, one out of every 14 couples suffers from infertility in the country. With a success rate of nearly 40 percent, IVF has been a boon for infertile couples and the treatment has been steadily gaining popularity among the rural population," said gynecologist and IVF expert Gautam Khastgir.
Khastgir associated with the city-based Bengal Infertility and Reproductive Therapy Hospital (BIRTH) said that of all his patients nearly 60 percent came from rural areas of the state.
"With drastic life style changes, pollution and lack of hygiene, infertility has been on the rise in rural areas. However, the good thing is people are now becoming more aware and conscious and are opting for IVF to get rid of infertility. Rural population across the country suffering from infertility is now opting for IVF," said Khastgir.
On the urban front also infertility has also been on the rise with obesity, strenuous life and drinking and smoking being the chief reasons for the malady.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch