Japan grants India 120 mn yen to fight polio
New Delhi: Continuing support to the polio eradication initiative in India, the government of Japan Monday provided 120 million Yen (Rs.7.2 crore) grant to the UNICEF for purchase of vaccines, supplies, equipment and services for the year 2012.
After reporting zero polio case for a year, India was removed from the list of polio endemic countries by the World Health Organization (WHO) February 25.
"We salute this grand achievement. The Grant assistance would further contribute to our friendship with India," said Japan Ambassador Akitaka Saiki. Saiki and UNICEF India representative Karin Hulshof signed the exchange of note at a ceremony in the Japanese Embassy here.
During each national immunization day, nearly 2.3 million vaccinators under the direction of 155,000 supervisors visited 209 million homes to administer the Oral Polio Vaccine (OPV) to around 172 million children under five years of age across the country.
"Unwavering support and confidence evinced by the government and the people of Japan in India`s polio eradication efforts has been extremely encouraging and reassuring in the country`s long drawn fight against polio," said Hulshof.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Subbarao questions inflation-targeting, doubts its efficacy
- 7th Pay Commission: Calculate your revised salary using this calculator
- Xiaomi rolls out first laptop to take on Lenovo, Apple
- 7th Pay Commission: Centre seeks states comments on pay hike to IAS, IPS
- Pakistan cricket chief Shaharyar Khan does a U-turn, allows players' families to stay