Japanese surgeons successfully transplant parts of mum`s lung into 3-year-old son
Tokyo: Part of a mother`s lung has been successfully transplanted into her 3-year-old son in the world`s first middle lobe transfer from a living donor.
According to Okayama University Hospital, the operation made the troubled boy, whose lung function was declining, the youngest lung recipient in Japan, the Japan Times reported.
Lead surgeon, Takahiro Oto, said at a press conference after the operation that the boy`s artificial heart and lung has been removed, and he has begun to breathe with the transplanted lung.
Lung transplants from living donors usually involve the inferior lobe, which has greater breathing capacity.
But the boy received the middle lobe instead because it is smaller and matched his size.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police