JIPMER to set up Centre of excellence to treat lung diseases
Puducherry: JIPMER,an autonomous institution in the Central sector here, Tuesday said it plans to soon set up a Centre of Excellence to deal with lung diseases prevalent among all sections of society, including young children.
Addressing reporters on 'World Asthma Day' today, Dr T S Ravikumar said respiratory illness arising out of smoking habits and air pollution had been found to be prevailing in high proportions
"Diseases of the lung is a major public health issue that requires urgent attention and allocation of funds,"he said and announced JIPMER`s decision to set up the centre
World Asthma Day is observed on the first Tuesday of May every year.
Dr Ravikumar said Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) had been initiating steps to implement health promotion projects as part of its 'golden jubilee high impact programmes. Already infrastructure was being readied for the proposed centre. The new facility would diagnose and treat lung ailments among newborns and also geriatric patients, he said.
He said around 1,700 new patients with lung diseases turn up for treatment every year and there were also patients who come for follow up care.
On the occasion, JIPMER rolled out a childhood asthma clinic to treat young children suffering from lung diseases. The clinic would specifically provide services to children with complaints of asthma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India