JIPMER to set up Centre of excellence to treat lung diseases
Puducherry: JIPMER,an autonomous institution in the Central sector here, Tuesday said it plans to soon set up a Centre of Excellence to deal with lung diseases prevalent among all sections of society, including young children.
Addressing reporters on 'World Asthma Day' today, Dr T S Ravikumar said respiratory illness arising out of smoking habits and air pollution had been found to be prevailing in high proportions
"Diseases of the lung is a major public health issue that requires urgent attention and allocation of funds,"he said and announced JIPMER`s decision to set up the centre
World Asthma Day is observed on the first Tuesday of May every year.
Dr Ravikumar said Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) had been initiating steps to implement health promotion projects as part of its 'golden jubilee high impact programmes. Already infrastructure was being readied for the proposed centre. The new facility would diagnose and treat lung ailments among newborns and also geriatric patients, he said.
He said around 1,700 new patients with lung diseases turn up for treatment every year and there were also patients who come for follow up care.
On the occasion, JIPMER rolled out a childhood asthma clinic to treat young children suffering from lung diseases. The clinic would specifically provide services to children with complaints of asthma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre