`Jungle Raj` in stem cell research: Official
Kolkata: A `Jungle Raj` has been prevailing in the country regarding research on stem cell therapy and the government will ensure a proper structure where there is transparency, an official of the union health ministry has said.
"We at ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research) fund many projects. In the last two years, 80 percent of them are gaining the experience of how they can be preserved and how they can be transplanted, but very few were on clinical trials. This is Jungle Raj and not the correct way. As a person responsible for research governance, I find it very unacceptable," said union secretary of health research Vishwa Mohan Katoch.
Speaking on the sidelines of a workshop here on "Stem Cell and Research", Katoch said the government will ensure a proper structure where there is transparency.
"The issue of stem cell being used for different kind of therapy has been in the country for a long time, almost for a decade. This excitement has led to chaos. I don`t doubt the excitement. Handling stem cells or transplants is not like handling injection," said Katoch.
"Cell has lot of potential. So the damages could be far greater than saving something. That means the evidence should be based on critical experiments and trials should be done ethically and then put into practice," he said.
"The guidelines came for the stem cell application in India few years back only. But it was not followed as those guidelines were not backed by any legislation or act which could pin-point the recklessness of the individuals," said Katoch.
"Trials should be done through proper procedures which are well monitored. But in the last one decade it has not happened and that has led to a chaotic situation with people claiming inventions. We don`t know whether it is authentic or not as they were not open to inspection and no records were available," Katoch added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram